Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Time for an update

Wow! I have been very lax in my duties to keep everyone updated on our activities. Here is a brief review of our life since June:

June 6 - The buyers who made the offer on our house backed out less than two days after we accepted their offer. We were very disappointed, but got over it quickly. We decide to go ahead with our plan to move at the beginning of July, even though the house in Cali has not sold.

June 13 - My last day at work. Yipee!

July 1 - Scott picks up the 26 foot Penske truck, the largest truck Penske has, that he and Ev are going to load and drive to Memphis. After loading some boxes on the truck Scott is feeling smug because he is confident we will have more space than we know what to do with, despite the fact I insisted, over his objections, on getting such a big truck. I fly out of San Francisco that night with the dogs along in their crates in the cargo hold.

July 2 - We (me, Archie and Jammer) arrive in Memphis. We are picked up at the airport by my good friend Ann and we spend the evening with my sister, Margaret, my nephews, Cody, Zach and Austin, and my friends/cousins, Susan, Bill, Erin, Joe, Karen, Greg, Kevin and Zeke. I receive a few concerned calls that evening from Ev and Scott. After a day of loading the truck they have realized the truck is too small and everything will not fit! No worries. It's just stuff.

July 3 - After half the truck is unloaded, rearranged and reloaded, and several more calls are made to determine what we can and can't live without, the truck is packed. Scott and Ev take off Thursday evening, leaving fewer items in California than we feared we would have to.

July 6 - Scott and Ev arrive in Memphis mid-day. They park the truck, take showers and decide to spend the afternoon visiting friends and family and leave the unloading for the next day.

July 7 - The truck is unloaded. I get busy unpacking.

July 8 - After furniture is arranged, some boxes are unpacked and we can take a breath, we realize that we LOVE our house and are very happy to be there.

July 12 - Zeke and Meredith get married! Yay!

July 14 - Scott begins working from home. He enjoys it, particularly after the camera and sound are set up and he can see and hear his co-workers in California and they can see and hear him.

August 6 - Almost everything is unpacked. Remaining boxes are all collected in the otherwise empty dining room where I can conveniently forget about them until I am ready to deal with them.

That pretty much brings you up to date, except for the fact that our house in San Jose has still not sold. But it's okay because I keep it in my mental dining room where I can conveniently forget about it until I have to deal with it.

No comments: