Saturday, November 25, 2006

I have redeemed myself!

As part of our Thanksgiving day feast, I decided to make prime rib with Yorkshire pudding. For those of you not familiar with it, Yorkshire pudding is a bread that is made by baking batter in the fatty drippings of a roast. It is a unique, amazingly delicious and incredibly fattening treat! Traditionally it was made by pouring the batter directly in the roasting pan and letting it cook there, swimming in the drippings. Now it is usually made by taking a few teaspoons of drippings after the meat is done roasting and baking the bread in a small casserole dish or in a muffin pan.

This was not the first time I tried to make Yorkshire pudding. Several years ago we had prime rib for Christmas dinner and I wanted to have Yorkshore pudding with it, but all did not go as planned. The recipe calls for putting the empty baking dish in a 450 degree oven for ten minutes before you add the drippings and the batter. After my roast finished, I put my 8x8 glass baking dish in the oven to heat while I mixed the batter. When the extremely hot dish came out of the oven I put it on the stove top, added the drippings and then poured in the batter. Immediately when the cool batter hit the hot dish, the glass EXPLODED! There was glass everywhere and batter oozing all over my stove. The worst part is that you make the Yorkshire pudding very last, because it deflates quickly so you need to serve it right from the oven. So, while the rest of the meal was piping hot and everyone was ready to eat, I was scrambling to clean up shards of glass and gooey batter from my kitchen. Not fun.

Despite my history with it, I wanted to try Yorkshire pudding again this Thanksgiving. I used a metal popover pan this time rather than a glass dish and it was a great success!! Even though I am a vegitarian and refrained from having turkey or beef at dinner, I did allow myself one helping of Yorkshire pudding. It is truly one of the most delectable things I have ever had! YUM!!

1 comment:

Bigmammy said...

It sounds like you did a great job, and they look yummy also.