Sunday, April 26, 2009

Danger City

Forbes just came out with its list of America's Most Dangerous Cities. Sadly, Memphis is number two on the list. According to the article, we are one of the only large cities in America with more than 950 violent crimes committed per 100,000 people. Also we are apparently a transit point for Mexican drug cartels. I am doubly sad about the article because Detroit, where my sister lives, is ranked number one! We Henderson (/Reschke/Brown) girls love to live dangerously!

However, if I remember correctly, we were number one on the list last year, so I guess a glass half full view would be that we are improving. I'm not going to let this article get me down. We moved back here because we love this city. I see people working everyday to make Memphis a safer place - not only in my neighborhood, but all around the city. I know that in a few years, after more hard work and a new mayor who is not completely corrupt and insane with power, Memphis will be off the list completely.

Then I guess I'll have to move again - to where the danger is!

No comments: